Parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents may be eligible to apply for the parent and grandparent super visa.
This visa is valid for up to 10 years and will let you visit your family in Canada for up to two years without renewing your status.
To apply for the parent and grandparent super visa, you must:
- be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada,
- be allowed to enter Canada and
- meet certain other conditions.
Note: You cannot include dependants in this application. Only your spouse or common-law partner can come with you under this visa.
Visa officers consider several things before they decide if you can come to Canada. You must be a real visitor to Canada who will leave by choice at the end of your visit. A visa officer will look at these things when you apply:
- your ties to your home country,
- the purpose of your visit,
- your family and finances,
- the overall economic and political stability of your home country, and
- an invitation from a Canadian host.
You must also:
- prove that your child or grandchild in Canada meets a minimum income threshold,
- provide a written statement from that child or grandchild that he or she will give you financial support,
- have valid Canadian medical insurance coverage for at least one year and
- have an immigration medical exam.
In some cases, the super visa program can be an interesting alternative to parent sponsorship. Call us today to find out if the super visa program is right for you!